Friday, February 11, 2011

Office No-mance

I just bought the Verizon iPhone.

"Rahhhhhh!" And the crowd goes wild. Uncontrollable applause.

Thank you, thank you, you're all far too kind...

But now that I have this thing, I need to sync up my work e-mail to it. The e-mail system here isn't exactly easy to install on any Smart Phone, so I put in a little internal "ticket" to the tech support team here at the office.

Here's the story that followed that seemingly innocent ticket:

AUTOMATED EMAIL RECEIVED:
Thank you for contacting the Help Desk. Someone will assist you as soon as they can.

INTERNAL INSTANT MESSAGE RECEIVED 5 SECONDS LATER:
Help Desk Guy: Hi, Melanie. How can I help you?

(I thought to myself, Um, you can read my damn ticket? All the info is in there! But, instead:)

Me: Hi - yeah, I need to have my email synced to my new phone. Can you help me?
HDG: Sure, come on by. I sit on the 8th floor.

IN-PERSON INTERACTION A SHORT WHILE LATER:
Me: Hi, HDG - I'm here for your help!
HDG: Awesome - let's get to work here.

HDG was, in fact, very helpful and extremely nice and, after about 10 minutes, I was all set.

HDG: Okay, you're all set up!
Me: Thank you so much - you are THE BEST!

INSTANT MESSAGE WAITING FOR ME WHEN I GET BACK TO MY DESK:
HDG: So how do you like the iPhone so far?
[click to accept] Click.
Me: Pretty good, getting used to it slowly.
HDG: That's awesome, LOL. So what do you do here?
Me: Oh, I'm a media planner. I work for the Media group.
HDG: Cool, LOL.
Me: Yeah. I'd ask what you do but, well, I kinda already know.
HDG: LOL, you're nice. So where are you from? I'm guessing New Jersey.
Me: Yeah, but I live in the city now. You?
HDG: New Jersey also. You're really nice.
Me: Do you usually not encounter nice people at work?
HDG: No, not like you. So what do you like to do for fun?

And THAT'S when the red flag should have been raised. But, stupid, stupid me - NICE me - kept on going.

HDG (again): Hey, sorry, you're probably really busy, but I like talking to you. :)
Me: Oh, that's alright. Yeah, just multitasking right now.

HDG then proceeds to IM me for the next 3 HOURS! He asked me what kind of movies I like, what kind of music I like, then he asks if I like children (after I learned that he's a divorced dad of 2). 

Then, finally, the clincher:

HDG: You're so nice. I like talking to you. Can we chat after work sometime?

My heart practically leapt out of my chest... and fell into the PIT OF DESPAIR I had dug deep under my desk. Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit, oh shit. What do I do now? What do I say? How could I have been so naive, so nice? This is so AWKWARD! Not to mention inappropriate! 

I then enlisted the guidance and advice of a close friend who told me to let him down easy, tell him I'm seeing someone. But, before I get a chance to do this:

HDG: So what do you like to do for fun?

Um, hello, you already asked me that!

Me: Hey, sorry, got really busy suddenly. I gotta run, I'll ttyl.
HDG: K, bye :)

EMAIL RECEIVED LATER THAT AFTERNOON:
Subject: just let me know when you want me to look at your macbook
Body: no pressure :)

OMG THIS GUY IS BONKERS. He's a) much older b) a COWORKER c) a divorced dad of 2 d) not a member of the tribe. What is he thinking!?

MY REPLY:
thanks! will be in touch when i finally bring it to work one of these days

HIS REPLY:
sure...lets chat again sometime

UM, NO. I DON'T THINK SO.

WHYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY DO THESE THINGS ALWAYS HAPPEN TO ME???? I pride myself on being a nice person (most of the time at least), but I really feel like it gets me nowhere sometimes.

Lesson learned.

No comments:

Post a Comment